Vastu is the ancient Indian science of architecture. It focuses on the principles of the flow of energy through different directions, namely the cardinal directions — North, South, East and West. Vastu also considers the corner directions — North-East, South-East, South-West and North-West.
Vastu is also the study of energy wherein the aim is to make one’s life balanced, energetic, happy and prosperous. Thus, Vastu supports balance, symmetry and harmony in the arrangement of one’s home or apartment and thus one’s life and relationships.
Many people believe that since apartments are not single storey homes which directly touch the earth, the principles of vastu can be ignored. However, this is a major misconception. An apartment is part of a structure that is connected to the earth directly and is thus covered by Vastu principles. Ensuring a Vastu compliant design of your flat bodes well for the health and relationships of the inhabitants of the home.
Here are some tips to follow to make your apartment Vastu compliant:
- The main recommendation of Vastu Shastra is that the apartment should be of a regular shape such as a rectangle or square. Avoid irregular shapes such as a semicircle, triangle or hexagon.
- Ensure bedrooms are in the south-southwest direction of the apartment as this is considered an auspicious direction for the placement of bedrooms.
- Similarly, the north-west direction is preferred for the drawing room or a guest room in the apartment.
- The kitchen is an important part of the apartment and thus according to Vastu should be in the south or east direction only. Its design should also be simple.
- Having a religious or puja room in one’s apartment is highly auspicious. Aside from providing a dedicated space for prayer and religious rituals, it also blesses your home. This holy room or space should be in the north-east, east or north of the apartment.
Vastu also has some recommendations regarding design and cleanliness. For instance, using white flooring tiles enhances light and energy in the home. Similarly, use brighter colours for the walls and curtains which will improve and augment the overall energy aura of your home. It is also a good practice to regularly get rid of old papers and unused things. Keeping such old, scrappy items for too long could hinder the positive energy of the home.
Buying a home is a lifelong dream and a huge achievement. Thus, it is important to ensure this home, our pride and joy, is happy, peaceful and prosperous. Vastu’s time honoured principles help us to do so in a harmonious and traditional way.