Building one’s dream home is a lifelong aspiration for many Indians. It involves a lot of patience, definite vision of how one’s dream home will look and feel as well as a heavy investment of time. People who can do so purchase well developed plots in branded plotted developments. Plots allow one to be creative in building their home as per their specific needs. Most especially, it enables one to design their home according to the auspicious guidelines of Vastu, the ancient Indian science of architecture.
Vastu also prescribes principles concerning the flow of energy through the North, South, East and West directions as well as the corner directions — North-East, South-East, South-West and North-West. Home designs which are based on Vastu ensure optimum flow and balance of energy throughout the structure, and thus symmetry and harmony in one’s life as well.
Here are some tips to follow to design your home on a plot in a Vastu compliant way:
- While buying a plot ensure that it has a regular shape such as a square or rectangle. Avoid irregular shapes such as triangles or hexagon. Plot shapes in plotted developments are usually of a regular shape so as to ensure Vastu compliance.
- While designing the home ensure that the main door faces North, East or North-west entrance as it brings happy energies into the home and positively affects the residents.
- Bedrooms should be in the highly recommended and auspicious south-southwest direction.
- Similarly, the floorplans should consider placement of the drawing room or a guest room in the north-west direction.
- The kitchen is an important part of the home and thus according to Vastu should be in the south or east direction only. While cooking one should be facing the east.
- Allot some space for a religious or puja room in the north-east, east or north of the home. In addition to providing a dedicated space for prayer and religious rituals, it is also considered highly auspicious and blesses your home.
- As per Vastu, bathrooms should be in the east or in between the east and north-east direction. Similarly, ensure that the doors of bathrooms and toilets do not face the dining room or kitchen.
- Building one’s home provides the flexibility of constructing multiple floors. This requires a staircase which as per Vastu should not be in the northeast corner of the home.
- Finally, construct a compound wall around your home as this transforms it into a complete Vastu mandala.
The advantage of buying a plot in a branded plotted development is that many of them are Vastu compliant. Furthermore, a plot enables you to bring your vision of your dream home to life. Designing it according to Vastu principles bodes well for the health and relationships of the inhabitants of the home, one that radiates happiness, peace and prosperity.